RULES AND REGULATIONS
- All competitions are through online submission. There is no in-person stage audition or performance. There are no travel and pay-to-play expenses.
- Competitors compete for Grand Prize 100% Perfect Score, 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize placement as well as other awards per age category. All competitors get emailed certificates and a comment sheet report card with scores.
- Grand Prize (100%), 1st Prize (95-99%), 2nd Prize (90-94%), 3rd Prize (85-89%), Honorable Mention (80-84%), Merit (<80%)
- Multiple opportunities and categories to compete.
- All forms of music making, all genres and styles, and open repertoire allow a fair chance for all young musicians to compete.
- Application is simple. Enter during the calendar month of your competition by uploading your YouTube performance or in the case of the composition contest, have your pdf or audio composition file ready. Complete the application form. Make sure you have your video link ready. Make payment and submit.
- The competition is open to 4-26 year olds, amateur and professional musicians, composers, music students and informal, self-taught musicians. Although this competition is a platform for youth musicians, we do have an open category for older musicians, 27+, amateur and professional.
Every month's competition application opens on the first day of the month and is open for the full calendar month closing at 11:59 pm US Eastern Time.
Results will be shared on the winners’ page and by email notification by the end of the following month.
The application fee is nonrefundable.
Due to the online nature of the competitions, no sheet music/scores are required, but are encouraged in the composition category and always welcome if you made your own arrangement.
IYMC may use images, audio and/or video for marketing purposes, but entrants (composers) retain copyright to their compositions.
By entering, minors confirm that they have parental consent to participate.
IYMC retains the right to disqualify any material that is deemed inappropriate, offensive or inadmissible.
All performers are required to perform in suitable recital style or concert attire. Costumes, traditional attire and uniforms are acceptable in the appropriate entry categories. Please refrain from wearing performance attire with writing, slogans, text, or advertisements on.
IYMC respects the rights and privacy of all and does not discriminate based on ethnicity, race, nationality, gender, religion, or sexual orientation.
- Competitors may enter multiple pieces in one entry month category, but each piece is a separate submission and separate entry fee.
- Competitors may enter several categories in each year.
- Competitors may enter the same piece in various categories over the course of a year.
- Your competition material/performance must be no more than 12 months old.
- Your entry is adjudicated in your age category.
- There is no specific length or time restriction, however judges reserve the right to judge only the first 15 minutes of lengthy compositions.
- Repeats at the performers discretion. All Da Capo must be observed.
- In the Classical categories, single movements of sonatas or concertos may be entered. Single dances from Suites may be entered. Prelude and Fugues may be entered as separate pieces. Theme and Variations must be entered as a complete piece.
- Concertos may be entered with piano reduction accompaniment.
- Vocalists may enter a capella selections if that is the style of the entry. Songs with accompaniment e.g. art songs, opera arias, etc. must be performed with live or recorded accompaniment. In popular and commercial music categories, singers may self-accompany.
- All participants will provide publicly accessible video links to YouTube.
- ALL IYMC competitions for all 12 months of online competitions per calendar year, require only ONE composition/movement/repertoire piece.
- IYMC takes no responsibility for videos that have permissions set to limit viewership or are published through any other video sharing platform (vimeo, etc). Ensure that your video is viewable by a third party, even if you choose to make them unlisted. Record your selection as many times as you like. Ensure that you have permission to perform a selection if your work is not in public domain.
- Recordings must consist of unedited, uninterrupted video footage of the participant from a single camera angle with coverage of the performer’s full or upper body at all times. In case of ensembles and large groups such as choirs, bands, or orchestras, the entire group must be visible at some point in the video including all accompaniment instruments/performers.
- In the virtual choir, orchestra and band competitions the above video rules do not apply. Simply submit your link to your virtual music performance compilation (typically an edited, multi-image video product).
- Although IYMC does not require professional recordings and accepts video made at your home studio on your devices such as computer, tablet or phone, keep in mind that the video and audio quality must be such that the judges have a clear and fair representation of your performance.
- In the Music Composition category during June each year, submissions may be a pdf, or audio only. It is not necessary to have your new composition in live performance for YouTube video.
- Recordings must be cued to begin within five seconds after the video starts. In the event that you have more than one piece (movement/composition) on the video, the judges will listen to the FIRST repertoire piece on the video.
- Recordings must feature the work the participant entered on the entry form.
- YouTube videos must be labeled/named clearly with the STUDENT NAME/GROUP NAME and the title and composer of your piece. You will not be disqualified if this is not absolutely correctly labeled.
- There is no need to announce yourself or provide any text to your video. However, your video will not be disqualified for announcement or text.
Prizes and Results
- Adjudication is per age category. There are first, second and third prizes in each age category as well as additional awards.
- Categories are:
Junior 1: age 8 and 9
Junior 2: ages 10 to 13
Senior: ages 14 to 18
Collegiate: age 19 to 26
Mixed: Mixed ages
- Age is calculated as your age on the 1st day of the month of the competition (e.g. for the May competition, i.e., your age on May 1st.)
- The adjudicators will begin their review of application footage directly after the application deadline. All adjudication will be completed within the month following the entry month. All winners will be announced in the last week of the following month, e.g., the March competition winners are announced April 26 -30, the April competition winners are announced May 26-31, etc.
- Within each category, first-, second-, and third-prize winner(s) will be awarded, along with any number of honorable mentions and other other awards e.g. Merit, Special Recognition, Musical Excellence and Outstanding Performer. All participants receive certificates. All participants will also receive a comment sheet/report card from the judges.
- IYMC may feature winners and promote young artists (with their permission) through announcement, links to their social media, etc.
- All results are final and unappealable.
- Make sure of the requirements before starting to fill out the application: Read all rules, guidelines, and agreements. Ensure that the participant’s instructor (if applicable) and in the case of minors, the parent(s), are aware of the candidate or group's intent to participate, and obtain verbal or written consent. Confirm the information of the selection(s) one wishes to perform with complete title, composer first and last name, movement title or tempo indication, BWV or other catalogue numbers when available.
- In the case of large school groups such as orchestras, bands and choirs, the responsible adult must ensure to have media release permission and consent from minors' parents to participate in this competition.
- All entries are 40 US dollars per entry and have a PayPal account, credit card, or debit card ready as you start your entry.
Please email us at IYMCompetitions@gmail.com if you have any questions.